Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

1995 Philippines 5 Sentimo!


This coin just instantly reminds me of my Holey Cent! post except this coin is supposed to look this way. I'm pretty sure this is the only coin I currently own that was minted with a hole in it, although I have had some over the years. It would be a nice thing to keep on a necklace so you wouldn't loose your change. That is, if you could get it off without having to ruin the necklace. If you couldn't it would still be a nice jewelery piece. The 5 reminds me of Kindergarten and 1st Grade when the teacher would tell us how to make a 5 she'd say make a line across, a line down, and a big fat belly. Those words may have been the very inspiration for this coin's 5. That or they needed to fit the hole in. Anyway if you noticed the 1995 on one side and the 1993 on the other the reason is this: Some countries (such as the Philippines) like to put a date showing when the current Central Bank was established. It's kind of like a sign at a factory that says "2 Years Without An Accident" or something along those lines. This lucky coin has gone 17 years without an accident and is worth $0.15.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree. It can be good jewelry piece. :) Looks like it is a lucky coin. I would love to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree. It can be good jewelry piece. :)
    -Yep. String a few of them up on a necklace and you've got a nice eye catcher.

    Looks like it is a lucky coin. I would love to have one.
    -eBay should have some just make sure you don't pay over $0.15 for one unless it's in better condition.

    ReplyDelete