Search This Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2012

1963 Letzeburg 25 Cmes!


Letzeburg = Luxembourg 25 CMES = 25 Centimes or Cents. It's hard to believe there was a tiny $0.25 coin made of aluminum when America was making big, thick, silver quarters. I have two of these, both of which were purchased at the flea market. The other one is badly corroded and only in my collection because I got it 1 week before this one when it was the only Luxembourg coin I could find. The corrosion on that one doesn't matter much, though, because both coins are worth only $0.10 in MS-60. So this coin is about $0.05 and the other, corroded one is about $0.00000000000001.*

*= It may actually be worth more for aluminum value.

2 comments:

  1. hi i have one just like it it's a 1967 but missing the 6 in the date. doesn't look tampered with under a microscope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess the die had some grease on it when the coin was struck. That's a somewhat common occurrence. Or maybe the die was starting to wear out. If you can send me a picture I could take a look.

      Delete