Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2012

1961 Republik Osterreich 1 Schilling!


It's a golden Christmas Eve! Well, sort of. I bought this aluminum-bronze coin at the flea market for $0.10-$0.20 and though it is is demonetized it is worth about $1.00. That's the power of being an old coin from a poor (at that time) country. At least they weren't as poor as Italy. Anyway the schilling was the Austrian dollar equvalent being comprised of 100 Groschen. On the obverse "REPUBLIK OSTERREICH" means Austrian Republic and on the reverse "EIN SCHILLING" means One Shilling. Also on the reverse are three edelweiss flowers which you can read all about in that link.

If I get any coins tomorrow morning I'll be sure to post them and if not I may do a present post or something. MERRY (almost) CHRISTMAS!


By the way the answer to last week's trivia question was 6. One person answered the poll this week with the answer 4. There will not be a poll this week as I have something special planned for next Monday so the next poll will start next Tuesday and last to the Monday after it as usual.

3 comments:

  1. I have a 1960 ein Schilling and If you have time would you email me at darkcloud0590@gmail.com. I would like to talk more about this coin please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 1961 coin what is the value of this?

    ReplyDelete