Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Finally Silver!!!


I have finally found a silver coin from circulation! It is a 1952 silver dime worth about $2.50 for silver content. I almost could not believe my eyes when I saw the edge was all silver colored and when I flipped it over I saw the date. I was astounded that this coin had been through all of these years and ended up in my hands without anyone else noticing it and taking it from circulation. Either that or someone thought it wasn't worth keeping because of the "stuff" on the obverse. Anyway, I'm glad to have this early Christmas present and still kind of in awe that I found it. Hopefully, I will find better coins soon as people are doing last minute shopping and using every last dime to get whatever is on their Christmas list.

2 comments:

  1. Again nice, I suspect this coin was cleaned just by the shininess. Probably at a local bank or cashing place. It was probably all black and went unnoticed and after it was clean no one cared.

    I like the story you had about the 1776-1976 quarter, I suspect the same thing is happening to silver coins most younger folks just don't know or care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuff on it has a crusty texture like it is something that dried on. It may be gum or some other sticky item that can be found in anyone's pocket which could be almost anything. I agree that it may have been cleaned because I have a few cleaned silver coins (two quarters and two dimes) that I bought and they look similar. Yes, it seems that most younger people (and people in general) do not know that coins can be valuable or do not care so they just pass them on. I'm glad though because it means more for those of us who do check our change and sometimes other people's for that one coin that makes it all worth while. Unfortunately, I have not found that coin but I'm still young.

    ReplyDelete