Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

1954 Netherlands Antilles 1/4 Gulden! (Flea Market Finds #4)


This is my second favorite of my flea market finds. It's got a rather small mintage of 200,000 and is worth around $8.00 which is 8x what I paid for it. Yes, it's true that I paid only $1.00 for it which is less than the $2.11 melt value as well. One of the reasons I like this coin so much is because the Netherlands didn't produce silver coins for circulation from the time Juliana took the crown except the 1 and 2-1/2 Gulden and even those were only for a short time. The Netherlands Antilles, however, produced silver coins from 10 cents to 2-1/2 Gulden until 1970. Sure, they're only 64% silver but silver is silver. I also find the portrait of Juliana quite attractive and the denomination 1/4 G rather than 25 Cent a nice change from traditional Dutch coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment