Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

1772 Mexican 1/2 Real! (Flea Market Finds #5)


This is my favorite of my flea market finds. It's 90.3% silver and was struck at the Mexico City mint which is still operating today! It features King Charles (Carolus) III and the Latin phrase "DEI GRATIA" or "BY THE GRACE OF GOD" which is still on British coins. Oddly enough, Charles advocated for a decline in the power of the Church and advancement in science during his lifetime. That's the kind of king I wouldn't mind living under.
 
Now, you can tell this coin is from Mexico City and isn't a full Real by simply knowing your Mexican Colonial Coins. Since I know relatively little, it took me a little detective work. I bought it marked as a Spanish Real but the Numista catalog said otherwise. The Spanish Real has no Mexico City mint mark and has the denomination marked as 1R. So I went to Mexico in the catalog and the Real had the right mint mark but still had that pesky denomination. I then started going down the list and after about ten seconds I found it. It's worth about $10.00 in this grade which is $3.00 over what I paid for it! Not my best deal but I am finally dipping into the world of 1700's colonial coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment