Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2012

I Got A Cud!


Close up view of the cud.
Here's a first. I've found die cracks and strike doubling, but never have I found a cud. A cud happens when a piece of the die chips off leaving an unstruck area on the coin. It can be classified as a sub-group of the Defective Die group (defective dies can range from minor die cracks to entire pieces of a coin's designs being missing). This quarter, that I would have thrown back into circulation at face value had I not done a re-check of my change, is worth a hearty $15.00 making it my most valuable coin find... EVER. Sure, I've bought $200.00 coins but I have found none that had a value over $10.00.

Let me know how you think this coin escaped capture for so long below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment