Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

1975 Dominican Republic 10 Centavos


Look familiar? If not, take a look here at the Indian Head Cent. See the resemblance? I noticed this coin as I was searching for aluminum and zinc coins and quickly stuck it in the pile of coins I was going to buy. One thing that stuck out to me was the fact that the weight is on the coin. For a moment that made me think it was silver since usually only silver and gold coins bear a weight. A few clicks of the mouse revealed it was copper-nickel although silver coins were issued in previous years. Another thing that led me to believe it was silver was the toning on the reverse. Notice how above "Libertad" on the reverse there is a spot of rainbow color. Since silver can tone any color of the rainbow (and sometimes all of them) it kind of furthered my silver suspicion. Anyway since it's not silver it is only worth $0.15.

No comments:

Post a Comment