Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Canada!


Canada became its own country in 1867. Everyone was happy to be in their own country instead of a colony under European rule. 100 years later they issued a 1867-1967 cent to commemorate their 100th year of independence kind of like our bicentennial coins (by our I mean U.S.A.'s). They are very common which explains why I found it 44 years later in NYC. The obverse is Queen Elizabeth II. On the reverse is a Rock Dove, denomination, Canada, and 1867-1967. It is worth around $0.03 in this condition mostly for copper value. It is the second oldest foreign coin I have found in circulation the oldest being a 1921 Swiss 5 Rappen. It is the oldest canadian cent I have found.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, here in NYC I found half a dozen of these its true they are so common.

    Oldest Canadian I found in my change was a 1921 cent in great shape.

    ReplyDelete