Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Clarification.

After Man at Coined For Money featured me in a post about nickels I thought I should clarify why I call anything pre-1965 old. It is mainly because of the switch from silver to cu-ni (Copper-Nickel) in the dime, quarter, and half dollar. It is also because I have many 1964 nickels. The story pretty much goes like this: I went to a gas station to get some snacks, I got what I needed, I got in line and paid, I checked the change and discovered a 1964-D nickel. Being as young as I am (my age is not specified on this blog) this was exciting and was a great addition to my collection esp. because of the mint mark being on the back and my collection was only change finds not things I buy like I do now (even though I still look through change to try to find interesting coins). Since then I have found several 1964s and 1964-Ds although the 1964-Ds seem to dominate my finds despite me living on the east coast. I later found out that 2,811,969,190 were made that year at both Philadelphia and Denver with Denver having made slightly more than Philadelphia. I suppose that explains why I have found so many and why I have more Denvers but I would think more people would pay attention to their change to see if they had anything interesting. Then again today my mom asked me about a 2004 Keelboat nickel and said she had never noticed one in her change before so I guess not.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, also I like the background I found a 1953 $5 star note in my change at the end of last year.

    I agree with you I also assume people check their but I think most people just do not care, which is a good thing for us.

    ReplyDelete