Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

1939 2 Reichsmarks!


I've shown one of these before, but the picture was pretty blurry and that was over a year ago. One of these was featured, the other two I bought some time over the summer so I figured I might as well update. (A little My Coin Box Trivia: What day did I originally feature the first 2 Reichsmark and what was it's mint mark? Comment below.) Each of these are made of 0.625 silver or 62.5% silver and the rest is copper which is surprising when you consider there was huge inflation all over the world and especially in Germany during the Great Depression. Like I said in the other post they were issued to rally Nazi support by featuring Paul von Hindenburg on the obverse and the infamous Nazi Swastika on the reverse.

With a few exceptions, these coins are not rare but are heavily advertised as such. I've seen them on eBay with eye grabbers such as: XX RARE and SUPER RARE!!! which are usually not true. Each of these coins goes for about $6.00 and they are not rare at all. In fact, when I went and bought the first one it was in a case just lying around with about 50 others.

Happy Veterans Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment